Monday, July 24, 2006

The Greatest Hate of All!

Hello again.

This week I’d like to introduce you to the first step in Hating Your Way to Happiness! It’s simple – but it’s very important.

Take a moment and think. Who is the most hateful, moronic, irritating, asinine person you know?

That’s right – it’s you! And it’s me! It’s each and every one of us. But, assuming you are reading this alone, it’s you.

Recognising your own essential hatefulness is a key element in hating your way to happiness. Hating yourself is loathing with someone you love to hate!

And the easiest way to begin your journey of self-hatred is by picking out something you hate about yourself. Isolate it. Don’t let it talk to its friends, or family. Let it fester.


A Simple Exercise

1. Think about your body. Consider it. And ask yourself this: What is one, single, solitary aspect of my physical self that I simply cannot stand?

I chose the dark circles under my eyes.

2. Think, really think, about why you hate this physical feature. Come up with some reasons.

For example, I hate the dark circles under my eyes because they make me look tired. But they don’t make me look tired in a glamorous, rock and roll, excessive lifestyle kind of way. They make me look tired in a ‘stayed up late because he couldn’t stand the idea of a sleep filled with dreams of inadequacy and social isolation being the only barrier between the dark of night and another soul-deadening, life-depleting day at work’ kind of way. I hate those dark circles because they articulate to the world my own lethargy and stunted ambition, my surrender to a world that doesn’t care I exist.
I also hate them because they make me look a bit like Jon English, star of Australian Play School and mediocre sitcoms.

Now do the same for yourself!

3. Write down your feelings about this physical aspect of yourself that you hate. Write them down in detail. Pour your heart out.

4. Memorise what you have written.

5. You now have two choices. Either hide what you have written in a place no one else will ever find it; or destroy it completely. Do NOT put these thoughts on a web page or ‘blog’. Although these are rarely read by anyone other than yourself, the chance is still there that someone may stumble across it!

6. Most IMPORTANTLY of all: never, ever, EVER ‘learn to love’ or accept what you hate about your body. And do not try to change it.

Hate it.

People need continuity. They need a reference point. An unchanging source of uncomfortable consistency. In future, you will find this inner hatred an invaluable tool when it comes to projecting your hatred outwards. It will be your reserve well of bile.

Be bigoted about yourself!

7. Choose an aspect of your personality you dislike. Repeat steps 1 to 6.


There. Now you’re on your way to happiness!

In the words of noted troubadour John ‘Cougar’ Melancholy [a small joke – his name is actually ‘Mellencamp’]: It hurts so good!

Later, haters!

Anthony

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home